Does the pain really go away, or just manifest elsewhere?

Perhaps I shouldn't mix business with my personal life, but its been over 9 months since my last post... I'd like to explain that exactly five days after my last post, my mother passed away unexpectedly. Everything changed. Its hard to fathom that millions of people go through this at least once in their lives, but it doesn't make it easier, just that I'm not alone. 
In her memory, I'd like to share a drawing of her that I did many years back. It was my first project for an art class with Peter Kolisnyk at Glendon College. I didn't know until just this minute while searching online for his name, that he also passed away in 2009. It was not a bird course by any stretch of the imagination whatsoever. I had spent an entire week, maybe two, working on this drawing and hoping to "wow" Mr. Kolisnyk by showing him that I was a good and eager art student. I did receive my "A" but not without a lecture about originality first. 



I wish I could explain now just how original it was now that I look back at everything. I will try to explain. I did this drawing of her based on a photograph. In it was a time of celebration and she was in full gala in her krakowski stroj costume with braids and ribbons in her hair. She was joyful and happy in a school parade in Doddington EnglandI remember Mr. Kolisnyk asking me who this was and why I choose to draw her. I explained that she was a child of war and without her mother in a displacement camp for children. It was just before she came to Canada and she was about 14 years old. He seemed satisfied with the explanation. However, I drew this picture of her based on a photograph of a happy celebration? Perhaps I didn't see it back then, but somehow her pain projected to me and to my drawing of her. My mother was still grieving from her younger sister's death the year prior. You can clearly see it in her eyes. I don't think I even realized at the time, but her intense pain clearly manifest in my drawing of her from when she was quite young. I'm still trying to find the original happier photograph...
Anyway, now that I've explained my absence, I'll get to some happier news shortly. I'm just starting back up, so please bare with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intrinsic values getting turned on

Hand-made customized grief bracelet

Post show comments...